Opening Event – CSR Roundtable
The CSR Roundtable brings together diverse leaders in the business community with non-profit sectors, government, indigenous communities and educational institutions to discuss corporate social responsibility and the role business has in enhancing communities both locally and globally.
Executive Roundtable: The CSR Roundtable will open with a moderated Executive Roundtable with Calgary and area business and community leaders hosting small groups of Forum delegates in roundtable discussions, inviting participants to engage in conversation around CSR topics of interest. These face-to-face discussions will encourage delegates to ask questions and share perspectives around key aspects of social responsibility, as well as hear from their table hosts. The Executive Roundtable concludes with a panel discussion among the moderator and some of the business leaders, summarizing key topics of discussion and notable take-a-ways.
This year, the moderator for the CSR Roundtable is Suzanne West.
Suzanne West – She’s the President and CEO of Imaginea Energy. A Fearless leader. A Visionary.
She is going to change the world. And she’s going to do it by getting other people to change the world with her. Imaginea is her latest venture and one of five companies that, over the past 15 years, she has successfully built from scratch. She spent her early days receiving an engineering degree from the University of Calgary, then spent the first 11 years of her career as a reservoir engineer and in various leadership positions in large corporations.
It doesn’t end there – she has also been a fitness instructor for 21 years and participates in philanthropic projects that are very near to her heart; those that involve children, animals, and homelessness.
Her unparalleled wisdom, that only a brilliant and repeatedly successful entrepreneur can offer, has attracted a crack team break down the most daunting of barriers. To require the way we think about energy. To turn what we’re doing into what we should be doing. Her latest passion, Imaginea, is to create a new kind of energy company that values all three of Planet, People, and Profits, equally. Essentially, to discover a better way of developing our resources and creating “AND” solutions and new possibilities to transform the energy industry into a force for good. Her truly laudable career has crystallized into an epiphany – that profits are not the nemesis of this planet, and the people on it. That oil doesn’t have to be a dirty word. That change can happen, and it will because it’s the smart thing to do.
And it’s this vision, guided by her insight and astonishing ambitions, that unites our ranks and compels us to realize our great potential.
CSR in Focus: We will take it to the next level as we focus on on specific topics that are affecting Calgary businesses and the way they responsibly do business. We will be challenged by Phillip Haid from PUBLIC Inc. and then hear responses from Suzanne West of Imaginea and another respected Calgary business leader.
Helle will also featured as a speaker/respondent to Phillip Haid during the CSR in Focus session.
Helle Bank Jorgensen – Building on a background as a Business Lawyer and a State Authorized Public Accountant, Helle brings more than 25 years of experience advising global companies and investors within Corporate Responsibility and Reporting. Currently, she is the President of Global Compact Network Canada.
Helle has extensive experience providing strategic and operational guidance to all functions within an organization, including advising at the C-suite and board level. Helle was the creator of the world’s first LCA-based environmental account, the world’s first integrated report, and is the principal organizer for the CEO/Investor-network for Business Ethics and Non-Financial Reporting. She has led the CDP-report of the S&P 500 and Improvement of DJSI ranking and investor communication for global and US companies.
She has led PricewaterhouseCoopers’s Sustainability and Climate Change practices in Europe and the US, hereof 11 years as a partner. Since 2012, she has run B. Accountability advising global business leaders in Sustainability and Climate Change. In 2013 she was also asked to build and lead the Global Compact Network Canada, and has over 3 years grown the number of signatories to nearly 100 Canadian companies. In 2014, Helle was chosen as one of 12 Global Facilitators for UN Global Compact Board Programme. She is a speaker and author of thought-leading articles and books and has served on multiple boards. In April 2015, Helle became the first in North America to have received the Certificate of Achievement and passed the GRI G4 Exam.
The CSR Roundtable is hosted by Black Diamond Group and the Chamber of Commerce.
This year, our Rountable hosts include:
- Alex MacWilliam, Partner, Denton’s
- Andrea Goertz, SVP Strategic Initiatives & Chief Communications and Sustainability Officer, Telus
- Birol Fisekci, President & CEO, Bordeaux Developments Inc.
- Craig Ryan, Director of CSR, Business Development Bank of Canada
- Helle Bank Jorgensen, President, Global Compact Network
- James Boettcher, Chief Idea Officer, Fiasco! Gelato
- James Cairns, Vice President – Petroleum and Chemicals, CN Rail
- James Stauch, Director, MRU Institute for Community Prosperity
- James Thangaraj, Director of Strategic Partnerships, Innovate Calgary
- John Windwick, VP Community Initiatives, ATB Financial
- Lara Murphy, Co-founder, Ryan Murphy Construction
- Leslie Quinton, Vice President of Corporate Communications, Air Canada
- Mariel Aramburu, International Business Officer, Alberta International Development Office, Government of Alberta
- Mario Siciliano, President & CEO, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame
- Mary Moran, President & CEO, Calgary Economic Development
- MaryAnn Kenney, Manager of CSR & Sustainability, Enbridge
- Mel Wilson, Senior Partner, PWC Canada
- Michael Selci, Senior VP of Financing & Consulting, Business Development Bank of Canada
- Murray Sigler, President & CEO, Sport Calgary
- Nicole Jelley, Executive Director, Talent Pool
- Phillip Haid, Founder & CEO, Public Inc.
- Robert Schultz, Professor, U of C Haskayne School of Business
- Rolly Laing, Ambrose Chancellor, former partner Bennett Jones
- Shelley Vandenberg, CEO, First Calgary Financial
- Stephanie Robertson, Founder & CEO, Simpact Strategy Group
- Tara Weber, Western Correspondent, Business News Network
- Toby LaBrie, Executive VP & CFO, Black Diamond Group
- Tom Redl, President & CEO, Chandos Construction
- Troy Cleland, Executive VP & COO North America, Black Diamond Group